Thinking about getting braces for yourself or a family member here at RiverLake Family Dental? If so, we invite you to read through our frequently asked questions to learn more about life with braces. If you have any additional questions about braces in Sacramento, California, or would like to schedule a visit with our dentist, Dr. Calvin Garland, please give us a call at 916-422-1823.
How do I keep my teeth clean when wearing braces?
The best way to keep your teeth nice and clean with braces is to stay consistent with your oral hygiene routine. This includes:
- Brushing your teeth at least three times a day, especially right after meals
- Using a fluoride toothpaste to reduce the risk of cavities
- Flossing each day, even if you need to use a floss threader
- Cleaning around your brackets and wires thoroughly
- Rinsing your mouth after you floss to keep your teeth nice and clean
- Cutting out certain foods that may cause issues with your braces
What foods am I allowed to eat with braces?
To prevent any issues with your braces, we recommend you avoid:
- Sticky and chewy foods (taffy, gum, caramel, gummy bears)
- Hard foods and candies (apples, Jolly Ranchers, carrots)
- Crunchy snacks (nuts, popcorn, chips)
- Sugary treats ( cookies, cake)
- Foods that easily get stuck in your teeth (corn on the cob, pizza crust, bagels, ribs)
Do I still need to visit the dentist every six months?
Yes! It is very important for you to regularly attend your dental cleanings and exams. This allows our dentist and team to thoroughly clean the hard-to-reach places of your teeth to avoid any cavities.
Am I too old to wear braces?
No, many adults wear braces to straighten their teeth. As long as your teeth and supporting structures are healthy, you are a perfect candidate for braces.
What is the recommended age for children to start orthodontic treatment?
According to the American Association of Orthodontists®, you are welcome to have your child begin treatment starting around the age of 7.
Will my braces hurt?
You will feel some discomfort after your braces has been placed on. This is normal, and it will take a couple of days for you to get used to your new braces.
How long will I need to wear my braces and retainer?
Depending on your individual needs and how well you respond to treatment, the estimated timeframe for orthodontic treatment is between 18 and 30 months. We are happy to go over your estimated treatment time during your appointment.