As April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month, Dr. Garland and our team would like to educate you on the signs of oral cancer, as well as encourage you to visit our office for an oral cancer screening.
Oral cancer can include cancers of the lip, mouth, back of the throat, tonsils and salivary glands. If oral cancer is not detected early, radiation therapy, chemotherapy or surgery may be needed. Because of this, it is very important to be aware of oral cancer and its signs and symptoms.
What Are the Signs of Oral Cancer?
Sometimes the early signs of oral cancer aren’t easy to detect, which is why it is important to visit RiverLake Family Dental often. Dr. Garland has the skills necessary to detect early warning signs of oral cancer. However, there are some signs that you can watch for between dental visits:
– Unexplained loss of feeling or numbness in the mouth
– A sore on the lips, gums or inside of your mouth that doesn’t heal
– A lump or thickening in your cheek
– A feeling that something is caught in your throat
– White or red patches on the tongue, gums or inside your mouth
– Trouble swallowing or chewing food
– Swelling in the jaw
– A change in your voice
– A change in the way your teeth come together when you bite down
For more information about screenings for oral cancer in Sacramento, California, and to set up your next appointment, contact our office today at 916-422-1823.