Dental implants can be a great alternative to dentures, but if you don’t know much about them, you may not know if they are right for you. That is why we offer answers to these FAQs about dental implants in Sacramento, California. Some questions you may have include the following:
What are implants?
Dental implants are replacement roots that provide a strong foundation for fixed or permanent teeth, which are made to match your existing or natural teeth. They can include just one implant or a full arch, such as with dentures.
Am I a candidate for getting implants and are they right for me?
If you are in good health and missing one of more teeth, you are a candidate for dental implants. However, there are a few factors that need to be considered:
– The quality and the quantity of your available bone
– Diseases, such as diabetes and whether the condition is controlled or not, and other medical conditions that may cause issue with dental implants
– Do you want a more natural-looking smile and are willing to invest in your smile?
There are additional conditions that might prevent you from getting dental implants. Dr. Calvin L. Garland can go over with you those factors and any questions or concerns you may have.
What are some of the advantages of dental implants?
-Easier eating – Traditional dentures can slide, making chewing difficult, but dental implants operate like your natural teeth, so you can eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
–Improved appearance – Because dental implants look and feel like your own teeth, your smile looks natural and beautiful. Implants are also designed to fuse with your bone, making them permanent, unlike traditional dentures.
–Improved speech – Poor-fitting dentures can result in slipping within the mouth, causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak natural and without the worry of slippage.
–Improved oral health – Because nearby teeth are not changed to support the implant, more of your natural teeth are left intact. They are easy to access and clean, improving oral hygiene.
What is the process for getting implants?
- The first step to getting implants involves creating an individualized treatment plan that addresses your specific needs. Our dentist and his professional teal will coordinate care based on the option of the implant and other issues pertaining to your situation.
- Our dentist will then take impressions of your teeth, creating a model of your bite. The new tooth or teeth will be based on this model so the implants look like your natural teeth.
- The tooth root implant is a small post made of titanium that is placed into the bone socket of the missing tooth. The jawbone then grows and heals around the implanted metal post, which anchors securely in the jaw. This healing process usually takes between six to twelve weeks.
- Next, a small connector post (an abutment) is attached to the post, securing the new tooth, once the implant has bonded to the jawbone.
For more information, we invite you to contact RiverLake Family Dental. We care about you and your family’s dental health, so please contact the dentist today, at 916-422-1823, for an appointment.